Building a Long-term Strategy
for Libertarian Victory
based on a workshop
presentation by Steve
at Success '97 (notes taken by
Stacy Van Oast)
- Develop a mission: determine
what it is you want to accomplish. For example, the national LP wants to affect
public policy, build the party, and elect candidates.
- Develop strategy:
- Determine how to accomplish the
mission. For example, grow membership in order to build the party.
- Identify supporting concepts:
- Relentless outreach ("Operation
- Political action
- Relentless incrementalization
(take small steps continuously)
- Discovery before persuasion -
find people willing to buy, that already are Libertarians, and don't dwell on
those that aren't interested.
- Set measurable goals, and put
them in writing.
- Goals must be realistic and
achievable. For example:
- In the next X months we will
increase our membership to Y.
- My campaign will generate X
number of inquiries.
- All fundraising and
inquiry-generating projects must have preset measurable goals so that their
success can be determined.
- To set goals:
- Inventory your resources (how
much money and how many volunteers do you have or can you get?)
- Determine the methods to achieve
- Conduct a post-mortem to
evaluate the goal and the methods used
- Record the knowledge